The US will not pay for the security protection of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, President Donald Trump has said.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have reportedly left Canada permanently and moved to California amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been living in Vancouver after leaving the UK and stepping back from their roles as senior members of the royal family.
But they are now living in lockdown near Hollywood with their 10-month-old son Archie, in line with California rules on coronavirus, after taking a private jet to the US, according to reports.
I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 29, 2020
But tweeting on Sunday evening, Mr Trump called himself a “friend” of the Queen and the UK but that the Sussexes “must pay” for their own security.
Mr Trump wrote: “I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom.
“It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada.
“Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!”
It came after a source told the Sun newspaper that: “Harry and Meghan have left Canada now for good.
“The borders were closing and the flights were stopping. They had to get out.”
The source added that they had been planning the move for some time.
“They have a big support network there. It’s where their new team of Hollywood agents and PRs and business managers are based,” they continued.
“Meghan has lots of friends there and, of course, her mum Doria.”